Friday, January 8, 2016

CT Step 8 - There is a greater harmony in the world. – Journal – CT Step 7



Today:  CT Step 8 - There is a greater harmony in the world. (MP3)

There is a greater harmony in the world. CT Step 8

In your relationship with the world, you will find conflict and you will find harmony. It will be difficult to reconcile the two, for they seem to be mutually exclusive. But they are all part of the same condition. This seems ambiguous and contradictory, and yet you must approach both with a growing equanimity. The man and woman of Knowledge only value the power and the presence of Knowledge, whether it manifests itself in situations that seem harmonious or in situations that are conflicted. The man and woman of Knowledge are not bound by simple definitions. They are free of the restraints of this kind of thinking. This gives them the ability to see, to know and to act.

There is a greater harmony in the world. You bring this harmony into the world by being close to Knowledge. There is no deception. There is no dishonesty. There is no avoidance.

Therefore, look at all things today and wait for the real understanding to emerge within you. Do not ask for the situation to explain itself to you. Do not ask for people to reveal themselves to you, for this must come about naturally. It is this looking and this waiting that bring your mind in service to your Spirit and give you new eyes to see.

Practice 8:      One 30-minute stillness practice.
                          Contemplation practice.
                          Hourly practice.

Picture: Close-up of the building in the picture today.
 

This is the building of the Royal College of Organists – London, England. We can assume it is a place of teachers and students dedicated to musical harmony. Religious music, ideally, is intended to contribute to harmony among people. We know music and musicians are not free from conflict, but often they are mellow. People passing in front of the building in the Step photograph above, are likely having conflict and/or harmony at that moment, with no relationship to the college. Both pictures taken October 8, 2009.


Note: This is a long entry. There are many interesting parts. As far as a bar for your own journaling, it might encourage you to go more broadly and deeply. I’ve increased that over time.

8:05 a.m. Friday, August 31, 2001 – On leave today. Can I use it well?

Step 7 – The difficulties I see in the world today are opportunities for me to develop discernment.

Is there any greater conflict than the need to operate interdependently?

My earth. I don't remember exactly when I took on ownership and responsibility for the planet, but it was at a young age.

I grew up in the 1950s and, considering the challenges facing the Soviet Union, I imagined being the leader of that country and working behind that Iron Curtain to transform the country.

Things that came across the TV were the Kefauver hearings and Sen. Joe McCarthy of – Wisconsin – where I lived [House Un-American Activities]

One day, reading through a Popular Mechanics magazine I saw ads for the Littleton and Jamestown stamp companies and decided to collect stamps. That was what got me interested in the world and oriented me to its geography.

At Koenig Elementary school, in Mr. Peterson's 6th grade class, there were maps on the wall – and black airplanes – some type of plastic –

The Weekly Reader brought news of the world to us every day. Walter Cronkite was on TV – "You Are There" – taking us back into time, even to interview Julius Caesar.

Dave Garroway was on the TV. At the end of the program he held his hand up and said "Peace" with his right hand palm up flat out and open. (no weapon)

We were on the national news once. A locomotive engine had run in the night from Manitowoc to Two Rivers jumped the end of the track and ended up in the river. I remember seeing the headlight shining up through the muddy river water.

Unions were bad. At my father's company, the employees were striking. My dad had to stay in shifts at night. That scared my mother.

My mom was from Baltimore. She married Dad after WW II. My Aunt said that she wanted to get away. She got more than she bargained for. Two Rivers, Wisconsin was the boonies in 1946. She said that as they went north from Milwaukee, it got darker and darker. No streetlights of the big city.

My mother was a pioneer, though she didn’t know it. After 40 or 50 years she's adapted and found Two Rivers to be her home.

Our family struggled financially. My dad would have benefited from the G.I. Bill, but I guess it never occurred to him.

He had been a good student in high school. I guess his teachers got him down to Madison to see the University of Wisconsin. He said he went to the University – in the front door and out the back.

In 1946 he went back to the Metal Ware Corporation and took up where he left off learning manufacturing by doing – a self-taught engineer who would become part of the U.L. (Underwriters Laboratory) Review team for his product area.

I went to church at the Calvary Evangelical Lutheran Church. It was small and has remained that. The St. John's Lutheran Church where my father had gone was too conservative? I don't know, but we did go to this church.

Two Rivers was mostly a Catholic town. It had been settled by the French and Polish. There were Germans too, they the Lutherans and evangelical United brethren.

We had a six – six public school system. Kindergarten was for everyone. Then, for the Catholic kids, grades 1 – 8 were in the two parochial schools – St. Mark's and Sacred Heart. Later a third Catholic school was formed.

Koenig was on the southside – poor side of town. It had kindergarten – with Mrs. Eek. Washington high school was on the north end of town. It also had an elementary wing – grades 1 – 6 – then a 7 – 8 grade section and the high school 9 – 12.

Life was a strange blend. Us non-Catholic kids came together in the 7th and 8th grade at the high school – then the Catholic kids poured in at 9th grade.

I remember life in town being very religious. Maybe it was just me. The kids in my neighborhood were Catholic. My best friend, Jimmy S…, was going to be a priest.

I recall we were riding our bikes one day. We had just learned the trick of riding no-hands. We were riding on school Street and about to turn on to 11th Street.

Jimmy says, "If it's God's will, I'll turn this corner with no-hands".

I thought to myself, why would God care if anyone turned a corner riding no-hands?

I wonder if Jimmy became a priest? I suppose I could look it up on the net.

Another Catholic friend, Jim R…, seems to have disappeared. He became a doctor, then a psychiatrist. He had a unique take on life.

His explanation was that he almost drowned as a 10-year-old. That changed his life. He had a sharp mind and great confidence.

In this 1950s – 60s conflicted world, I move from devout Lutheran to agnostic with a night-walk insight.

I still can feel that experience. I was on Washington Street, almost in front of Mrs. Suettinger's house, it was about 8p.m. and I was walking home. The Joseph Mann Library had been a second home for me and I was returning from there.

Pondering right and wrong, the actions of the world and people – it struck me that "We had a fear enforced morality". We chose to do things, or not do things, not because they were right or wrong, but out of fear of punishment – of going to hell.

Having gone to Sunday School and Summer Bible School and being taught about Jesus and doing good, I tended to be an obedient child.

Being the first born son was a definite advantage and I was spoiled in many respects. I got mad at my birthday parties when I could win any games.

Though I was fairly bright, I had little athletic skill. I was often sick with bronchitis. I was picked on and got beaten up frequently. Once when I called in an older guy to help me with three kids that were giving me a hard time, I got detention.

Another time when I picked on a younger kid, the grocery store owner called my folks. Busted again.

It was a fishbowl small town. It was clear to me that if I did anything wrong, I’d get caught and punished. That's what I learned in church and at home, and that's what happened.

My friends – and peers – pushed the envelope harder. The Catholic kids were more aggressive – particularly those with parents who had status in the community.

But then there was the world. Social studies was my favorite subject. I liked history and enjoyed learning about the world.

Perhaps it was because I read so early that my life was so expansive in my mind.

When did I take on responsibility for the world?

Some Bible passages come to mind. "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but shall have everlasting life".

Then there was the great commission – "Go ye therefore teaching all nations, baptizing them In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit".

In 7th and 8th grades we learned the Lutheran catechism. Pastor Lipton(?) was the minister at the time. We had very good discussions – Bonnie W…, Marilyn R…, (others in picture) Kenny Kail.

I was active in Luther League – went to conventions. Saw the beginnings of politics at play.

Popularity was a strange thing. I think I was accepted/tolerated for my humor. At the start of my freshman year we moved to the north end of town – 2827 Forest Avenue – a beautiful Cape Cod. Small…but after years of searching, something had been found.

The family dysfunction sent me out into the world. Lunch time and dinner time was for debate. My mother had strong views and a sharp mind. Dad did not have time for many of the political issues. Besides he could never win an argument with my mother.

I don't know that I can ever remember my Mom saying he was right in other than a very sarcastic tone.

In a richer environment they both would have done better. I don't know what fates kept them in Two Rivers. My mother was terrified whenever my dad traveled. He turned down other job offers because of that.

They fought a lot, or rather my mother raged and father took the blows. We had no money and had gotten into debt early.

As for those who had more money in the world, it was all because of inheritance or the giving of money. My mom was not a business person – start a business, make money. Neither was my dad. There were no "business people" in my family. They were all workers – successful in their roles, but no bosses.

It is 2001, August, 31st, a Friday, as I write this. Last night on A & E I saw the Steven Spielberg bio. Is that what prompts me to begin this now? Spielberg's life began in film interest at an early age and represents an amazing story. An inspirational story of a gifted person who developed those gifts for the benefit of humanity.

In college I became interested in film and TV – reading Marshall McLuhan and studying filmmaking. I wanted to make the great film that saved the world. My path would be different as I dealt with the world.

Another catalytic viewing was a C-SPAN American Writer Series Show on Emerson and Thoreau. Reading Emerson in American Literature as a sophmore in college was an experience. I found people who thought like I did.

Writings like this did not have same impact on others as it did on me – at least not those around me.

I was reading at a high level. In the high school freshman test of reading comprehension I had the highest score. I was reading on the college freshman level.

The reading thing would be a constant irritation throughout my life.

10 a.m. S2K – This is the year to write and publish.

Making sense of the world has been a lifelong challenge. It may only be recently that I've accepted the world, even as the local masters of my fate rejected my leadership in improving my little part of it – the Northern Shenandoah Valley.

The world really doesn't want to be saved, or at least the people within it. If left alone to their own devices, people – individuals will save themselves. It might not be a pretty sight, but they all have plans.

My daughter is right now in the drama of saving her life by having a baby. She's being kept in the North Texas Mental Hospital for the moment to protect her baby – Susan Marie who is due in 10 days. Sarah Marie Christoffel is a strong soul in a challenged intellect.

My son is saving his life with his two children, their mother – they’re unmarried. I've been dragged along by their lives the past 25 years.

On one hand I've sought to save the world, but the drama and trauma of personal relationships has demanded much of my energy and time. Have I learned anything? Well the purpose of this reflection is to answer that.

Why are you reading this anyway? See if someone had a life that, in retrospect, offers some lessons in an entertaining way?

Sermons that are not parables don't last too long in the mind. Beginning, middle and end. Stories have completion which is rare in the world. It mostly drags on.

The entropy of things is a challenge. Over time it tires us out. Then there's the next life.

So, here in the middle of my life how can there be a story when there's no end in sight?

The world is to have ended by now for sure. The computer bug was to do it in 2000. Revelation predicts it, or at least a change. This ends, then there's a new heaven and new earth.

After 55 years and observation of physicality and what has been pieced together of the historic record, they don't know if this is the middle of time or not. [A short report from the middle of time]

Completion is a good feeling. To end something and begin something new again. Cycles of time, rhythms are in place. Human history, on reflection, shows how the movements affected life and brought what is now the 21st century style of living in existence. Thanks to indigenous peoples and sects who shun technology where they can, plus various isolated people – it is possible to see various levels of human culture all at the same earth-plane time. There are the Bushmen, the aborigines, the Amish, the Islamic fundamentalists, monks and isolated societies, warring tribes – and high society. Six billion people is the count.

Back in 1946 when I was born, maybe 2 billion on the planet. Now we are over six.

When will it end? It won't – the earth bio-system will rebalance.

Compared to the time when I decided to save the world in 1955 – the population has doubled and relationships have become very complex.

In the 1980s there was a call for Voluntary Simplicity. Duane Elgin wrote a book with that title. We have now involuntary complexity.

That effectively thwarted my plans to change the world. Conflict is being bred by human population growth at a greater and greater rate. Communications and technology have shrunk the world, but where is the peace?

This is my planet. I live here. But I'm passing through life asking it to be better.

Do people like conflict? Do they thrive on it because it energizes them?

Options for wasting time increase. Is this good or bad? Order is required for peace, but whose order is it? Chaos can be fun, if the pain energizes you. Power over others is something people like to try.

This essay is an exercise in discernment. What model holds true in the creation? Can I be inside myself and an outside viewer of the play out of the sector of the Creation?

To my mind there is no other valid perspective except that of Greater Community. That may in fact not even be a great enough context.

Like nested Russian dolls, we exist within levels. If we attend to the structures of the world, there are greater and lesser – but they are all integrated.

My life has been lived in the broad band of middle America. There is no average anymore – that disappeared sometime in the 1970s.

So, what am I? An entertainer, a performer. I performed for my kids. They were a difficult audience. In teaching, my goal spiritually was for them to Know that when there was nothing, they had God.

Vision – the lecturer, speaker, writer – the believable synthesis of life. Regional intelligence – a way to cross the many borders, thresholds set up for order and organization.

Borders must be crossed to integrate our experiences and live.

– My exposure to GC Spirituality has confirmed my emerging perspective. Make room for life. Care for what is already here. 10% of humanity needs the GC perspective – that's 60 million – 6,000,000,000 – 6 billion

"Choose life that you might have abundance". I always thought that was from Jesus. I couldn't find it in the Bible search.

Community is how life solves problems and deals with threats, internal or external.

The life force on earth is particularly strong because of the favorable environment. An imbalance has been created as technology has gained dominance over biology. The mechanical, binary imperative appears to be subjugating biology and damaging our environment.

This is, S2K says, a consequence of "intelligence. Gaps are created – RUOW –

I am beginning to experience the gift and that is my life. Perhaps my body served my mind in my mind has served my spirit better than I know, or could appreciate yesterday – 12 hours ago.

I've been drawn to great teachers – people who intuited wisdom and presented it to the world in their writings and speaking. Those lessons reverberate through time in the mental environment. Evolution is crude in the mechanical world. Knowledge is gathered slowly in the scientific world. We enter in a middle point and muddle through to find out where we are

Our predecessors completed the story – made it stick, so they’d know where we go when it ends. Life – individual lives clearly end. They may in almost before beginning.

Each story is based on turtles all the way down. (teachers all the way down 11/9/01)

That there is a family of man is patently true. I am of that family and so are you, here on my planet, our planet.

When reading "Black Elk Speaks" there was his vision of heaven – it was a Native American vision. Each earth culture sees heaven as reflection of that culture. My mind saw earth with many heavens – Karmic loops of souls going through these heavens. A new integration is required come about. (should/must 11/1/01)

Those that are drawn to power over others push technology and seek other economic advantages. Conflict is a market force. Life is denied and affirmed on a daily basis.

Regional Community – A New Perspective

It is self-governing and networking it may thrive as a sneaker-net.

If government can't do it, the people must, but they must be empowered. A government that does not invest on behalf of its people is wicked.

Totalitarian governments want people to be educated for productivity, but not in order to think. Many people agree with this. They want the stability of the hegemon. Social, but not intellectual growth. So they wonder why things don't get better when they themselves are unwilling to think and work. This is Marie's dream. Live by personality and an illusion of work.

The work of the region was outside the office in meetings which brought together people who otherwise would not have met.

The Iroquois League – to travel to the separated – as Hiawatha did – and create a greater community council based on humanity.

What is the future of humanity? One race awareness, planetary self-sufficiency. That or self-destruction.

Stewardship – sustainable growth.

In peace I head out to Rotary. A worldwide service organization devoted to peace. In this year of work ahead of free time through leave I can volunteer for The Marsh Institute and Rotary International for building regional communities. It takes more than a village –
Amen & Amen –
T-om Su-ne

[11/9/01 Regional Community – It takes more than a village.]

6p.m. Contemplation – Being home today, with only Rotary to attend, I did not expect to see many "difficulties in the world today" which would be opportunities for discernment.

As of 6 p.m. it has been a full day. My morning writing is a narrative of my life process of discernment. It answers – or will answer why I see regions. It is a partial history of that emergence. I have no idea if there's any literary merit, but the call to write has been strong. There is a great window of time for me to begin. I can leave the PDC at age 55 and still take a check. I'll need it.

The text says "…in your relationship with the world, conflict is something that must be faced. If you can do this, it will give you courage and self-determination".

I've been through great conflicts in my work here in the Shenandoah Valley. When they changed my job, I told Ed Daly I was going to tough it out – the work was too important. I have a deeper experience of the region, more than I know myself. As I do my work, in the reactions of others, I see no diminishment in my ability to present the issues. Working with Clayton Walton and John Cromwell has given me great insight and wonderful partners.

This afternoon I watched "Black Elk Speaks" – the C-SPAN presentation on that work and significance in the American Writers Series. I'd heard the first 90 minutes on July 10.

Well, if you read the whole thing, you know more about my life than you probably wanted to know. Contained within the flow are some good thoughts, along with marginal memories. This is why you need a very cheap journal, like the basic composition book, so you can write out what is coming to your mind. This is mostly accurate, but much is left out as it is, and pieces will be added. Know thyself. We continue.

NNC

Note: If you’ve some interest, but this is the first time you’ve seen Steps, you should go to the beginning blog post. From here you will learn about Steps to Knowledge and can begin it on the day that makes sense; then progress as needed. Begin at the beginning.

If you do know about Steps, but have not done Steps twice completely, read the related materials, and have a sense of the direction of this study, you won’t get the experience. The Introduction begins:

“This is the Steps to Knowledge Continuation Training. It is designed to build upon the Steps that were learned in Steps to Knowledge to enable you to experience the grace, the power and the direction of Knowledge in your life and to become an expression of Knowledge in everything that you do. If you have completed the book, Steps to Knowledge, twice through and have followed the instructions as they were given without altering the curriculum in any way, then you are now ready to begin this more advanced study”.

If you are an independent student, that is certainly an option. Posts here provide a trail that may let you have a virtual companion when and if you want one. One may have to study alone, as I did in the beginning. There are other Steps students blogging their experience and you might find a person more like you as a companion, or use a number of such Steps journeys. There are options as well through the Free School of the New Message.

No comments:

Post a Comment